Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My 2012 Maryland Film Festival Experience

Wow, it’s been exactly a month since the 2012 Maryland Film Festival (May 3-6th) and I think I finally recovered. LOL. In short my weekend was:
For the record:
Starting in 1999, the Maryland Film Festival is an annual four-day event that takes place the first weekend of each May, presenting top-notch film and video work from all over the world. Each year the festival screens approximately 50 feature films and 75 short films of all varieties -- narrative, documentary, animation, experimental, and hybrid -- to tens of thousands of audience members.  
Celebrity guest hosts from outside the world of film are also invited to present favorite films, including musicians such as Harry Belafonte (pictured below), Ian MacKaye, Branford Marsalis, Will Oldham, Jonathan Richman, and Bill Callahan.
Harry Belafonte at the 2011 MFF to present his autobiographical film Sing Your Song. Photo by Jason Putsche
My weekend started early on Thursday with the festival’s Opening Night Shorts & Party.

Every year the festival opens with a bunch of short films and then a party. Of all my years of attending the festival, approximately half of its 14 year existence, this is the first year I went to the full festival ALL FOUR DAYS. It is also the first time I went to the Opening Night & Closing Night Parties. So this year I truly had the complete festival experience.

During the festival I also shared my experience with the people who follow ‘Nother Brother on our social networks.

Even though the stuff I tweeted is lost in the thousands of tweets in the “Twitterverse” a lot of what I posted included pictures are still on the ‘Nother Brother Facebook page, including ALL of my reviews EXCLUSIVELY. You won’t find them on the blog…well you will find the BEST one I saw reviewed here, but other than that all the reviews are there including the Baltimore shot film LUV starring Common.

Still from the film LUV
Even though seeing all those films in a weekend was tiring, I still enjoyed it especially seeing all my local filmmaker peers. Below is what I posted on Facebook the day after the festival ended.

Click for bigger view

I truly had a blast at this year’s Maryland Film Festival and I have to say a GREAT job by the festival programmers for I truly saw some great films that I don’t think I would have been checking for otherwise.



All links go to Facebook

The Black Balloon (short)

Drama Shorts (Six shorts)

LUV (drama)

Opening Night Shorts (Five shorts)

The Source (documentary)

Tchoupitoulas (documentary)

V/H/S (horror)


As stated above here on the 'Nother Brother Entertainment blog you can find a review for


Click the graphic to read it!

Related Links
ALL of our posts about the Maryland Film Festival are HERE

No comments: